Female pattern hair loss or fall
Androgenetic hair loss is seen in both men and women but is more common in men. Having said this we at the Hair Clinic in Faridabad do realize that whatever hair loss/fall is experienced by the females is emotionally disturbing and depressing for the individual. There may be many causes for this hair loss like Thyroid disease, anemia, protein deficiency, chemotherapy, and low vitamin levels. Most females with hair loss do not experience receding hair line instead they get diffuse thinning of hair especially in the crown area. The hair appears thin and wispy and these hairs fail to achieve full length. This thinning often starts as a widening of the centre hair part that leaves the front hairline unaffected.
The Ludwig Classification uses three stages to describe Female pattern hair loss or fall: Type I (mild), Type II (moderate), Type III (extensive). In all three Ludwig stages, there is hair loss on the front and top of the scalp.
Causes of hair loss or fall in females
- Endocrine disorders like Uncontrolled diabetes, thyroid
- Systemic diseases like SLE
- Hormonal imbalance as seen in PCOS , pregnancy , menopause
- Low levels of vitamins like biotin , vitamin C & vitamin B3 , iron , proteins and minerals like zinc
At our Cosmo Derm Hair Clinic in Faridabad, while consulting a female patient suffering with hair loss we make sure that the condition is evaluated thourghly so that the best treatment for hair loss or fall could be offered.
- History and Clinical evaluation- Duration of hair fall , family history , past and current medical history , menstrual and obstetric history , history of any medication
- Examination – Hair root and scalp analysis using video microscope. Pull Test and DNA analysis.
- Blood test - Depending on the clinical evaluation relevant blood investigations are ordered.
Why and how of hair loss or fall?
Male pattern hair loss or fall
Treatment for hair loss or fall